Friday, June 22, 2012

Why you Need to Upgrade to 8 gigs of Ram on your Mac

A 2011 Macbook Pro running 8 gigs of Ram.
My Macbook Pro, early 2011 model with an i5 processor seemed to be running slower and slower the past few months. I had blown off the idea my Macbook needed any upgrading and figured running Google Chrome, iTunes, Twitter and CoBook had contributed to a slow down, and really those programs were slowing me down. When I finally got around to checking out my CPU and GPU usage in the Activity Monitor, I had about 30 mb free, ONLY 30 mb, ridiculous for a Macbook a little over a year old.

Now I know Apple Says 4 gbs of ram is enough to run OS X Lion, but what a joke. Even with everything closed and nothing running other than the OS itself, I was still using almost 3 gigs of ram. No wonder my Macbook felt slow. So I set out to address the issue and wanted to add more ram. Since I lack some patience and I am not really a DIY guy, I wanted someone to install more ram. So I called Apple first, I asked them how much it would cost to go from 4 gigs of ram to 8 with instillation. Sadly, I cut him off when he said 99 bucks per stick of ram. So I then called Best Buy, they said you could pick up ram in the store, about 8 gigs or a 2X 4gigs for about 40 bucks and instillation is 50 bucks. So I said i'd pass on that offer.

I ended up checking out ifixit.com and installed 8 gigs of ram to make my Macbook Pro for less than 45 bucks, about 250-350 dollars cheaper than what Apple wanted to charge and it took me 10 minutes. Since I added the ram, there is no slow down when running multiple applications and multitouch gestures move with much more fluidity. I highly recommend anyone that can upgrade to 8 gigs or more of ram, to do so.

So what do you think, do you think you need more ram? Do you feel like your Macbook Pro feels a little sluggish with multiple applications open? Or are you just fine with what you've got? Thats all we've got so far. Peace Apple Nation and Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Four gigs is PLENTY to run Lion. The way modern OS's work is they are designed to use as much RAM as they can rather than waste it, but that doesnt mean there is "only 30 MB free". Nor does it mean that the OS itself uses 3. Do some research, because this post sounds like it was written in 2001.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I am saying is that with 4 gigs of ram, I ran apps sluggishly and I DID research this before i purchased ram. With the extra 4 gigs, apps run more smooth, the OS feels much more smooth like my mac did on Snow Leopard. I know what I saw on my Activity Monitor and how my computer ran, 4 gigs WAS NOT enough.

      Delete